We decided not to go out to Port Angles for a day and save it for a time when we could spend more time in the rainforest. We briefly considered going to Snoqualmie Falls, which is about 45 minutes away. Instead, we decided to be hometown tourists and go explore Pike Place Market.
I've been to Pike Place a couple of times before, mostly to go to Piroshky Piroshky. If you've never had one of these delicious Russian delicacies, you must try one. The only way I know to describe them is say they are like a little pie (think Shepards more than fruit) in a sealed pocket of dough. They also have sweet desserts (which I have somehow never tried!) and borsch. The place is small- there are three seats- but piroshkies can be eaten by hand while exploring the rest of the market.
After piroshkies, we stopped at Sotto Voce. What can I say, the array of oils to sample on display was too much to pass up. This place infuses their own oils and vinegars, and they are amazing! After sampling the balsamic vinegar inflused with ligonberries and mint, we couldn't help but buy a small bottle. Later, we marinated mushrooms in it and they were superb. My mouth waters just thinking about them!
We spent almost all of our time in the building across the main drag from the main building. I didn't know this one had an underground full of shops as well, and found some pretty cool stores to explore. Sam was enthralled by the map store and the store with three aisles of Asian condiments (Sam heaven!) After a quick torturous visit to Sur la Table, we made one last stop at a wine store before our parking time was up.
I just moved to Washington, and my work has mostly local foods and beverages, especially wine and beer. I am making a real effort to learn about Washington wines. Let me tell you, no one really has to twist my leg! One of the things I learned is that there are three red varieties that thrive surprisingly well- Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Lemberger. Lemberger? I had never even heard of that grape! It turns out that lemberger is grown primarily in Germany and Austria, where it goes by the name Blaufränkisch, and Washington State! Here, it grows mainly in Yakima Valley, and there are also some growings on the Olympic Peninsula. Ever since I found this out, I've been on a hunt for a bottle and this day, I found some!
This was the wine I found. According to the lady at the wine shop, Wolfe was one of the primary people who brought lemberger to Washington. They had it priced at $13.99, and after a glowing recommendation, I purchased the bottle. Needless to say, I did not regret it. The wine is a dark red. Subtle at first, it had a delightful full finish. It isn't tannic at all. Yum yum yum. I don't know if this is a good example of a lemberger, but it certainly was delicious.
That pretty much finished our day at Pike Place! I have to say, the Market is one of the coolest things about Seattle.A little overrun by tourists, yes (we almost got run over a couple of times by some crazy people in reindeer horns yelling about the first Starbucks) but pretty cool nonetheless. I think I'll stick to heading down there on Monday afternoons when parking is ample and the tourists aren't running amok.
No comments:
Post a Comment