Follow me as I wander around the world eating

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Mt. Rainier National Park

My mom and sister came to visit me (yay!) which gave me almost a week to play tourist in my own city. This is one of my favorite things to do! The cool thing about living somewhere is that there is plenty of time to go places. The bad thing is that you're so busy with life that you don't get a chance.
 
Most of the places we went were places I had been before. Mom really wanted to do the Underground Tour, see Pike Place Market and visit either Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Helens. Little Sister didn't really care- she was just disappointed that the American Girl Place wasn't opening until the Saturday after they left. (Fair enough. At 12, I would been really disappointed too.)
 
Mt. Rainer was one of the first places we went. I was really excited to go because I really like the mountain. I know that sounds silly. When I first moved to Seattle and I didn't know anyone or have any friends, I'd be driving to work all bummed and shit. I'd come around this corner on I-5 and if Rainier felt like it, BAM, there it would be. Put a smile on my face every damn time. So pretty and big and just a real reminder that I wasn't in Kentucky anymore. 

 The park was only about 2 hours away. From how big Mt. Rainier looks from Seattle, you'd think it was closer, but naturally, we had to go on back roads. That's okay with me because I love seeing little towns. It was 15 dollars to take a car full of people into the park, which wasn't bad. From there, we just drove around. I know, how lame. Why go to a National Park and not go hiking? Well, I can't really say I'm a hiking person. Not that I have anything against it, but I just don't do it. Not even like I wouldn't do it, because I think it would be fun. I just dont. Due to that, I have no hiking...gear or whatever. Mom and Lauryn certainly didn't either. So we just drove up as high as we could go and ate lunch outside. There was snow up there! In July! 

We tried to see Mt. St. Helens, but when we stopped at a (not very good) viewpoint, some nice couple told us they'd just tried the road and it was closed. :( Sad.

The last stop of the day was to Morton, Washington. Sam had to get pictures in front of the signs, just for novelty's sake. 

Back in Seattle, we went to Las Margaritas on 145th and Aurora (yum yum yum) and then collapsed pretty quickly into bed. Rainier was a really good day trip from Seattle. I'd love to go back and do some hiking and explore a bit more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment