For the last three weeks, without any prodding or begging on our parts, Sam and I have managed to have our days off together. And not just one, either. BOTH days for three weeks straight! This is so unheard of! I feel almost like a regular couple, with days off together. Of course, we then are hardly seeing each other during the week, so it evens out, but it is nice to have the time with him. To celebrate, we've been taking road trips! I'm so anxious to explore more of Washington, and these little day trips are a lot of fun.
So on our first week off together, we went to Leavenworth. I'd never been, but heard it was a huge Bavarian tourist trap. Sounds perfect for a cheesy day trip, right? Right. So off we went.
I was right! It is a Bavarian tourist trap in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. It was really cute and full of fat people. There are lots of fat people in Kentucky, and no fat people in Seattle, so when I see fat people agin, I'm always weirded out that I'm still in Washington. There were also tastings like crazy, so I could see why all the fat people flock there. Apparently there are some wineries around Leavenworth with tasting rooms in the town. There were sausage tastings and cheese shops and all kinds of delicious things.
We found ourselves a little tired and thirsty at the end of the road- and coincidentally, right next to Icicle Brewing! How perfect was that? We tried some of their beers and had a meat and cheese plate. Both things were okay. Not bad, but nothing special.
Crowds get to us pretty quickly, so we ducked into one last shop (called Made in Russia). The shop keeper was a very talkative and friendly fellow who suggested everything from good cheese to a moonshine place in Cashmere, about 6 miles away. What? A delicious excuse to leave the crowds? Away we went!
The moonshine was pretty tasty, albeit really difficult to find. Small little tasting room. We were there for probably a total of 15 minutes, which included buying a bottle of moonshine. I looked at my receipt later- the bottle itself was a little over $12. The taxes, on the other hand, were $13! The taxes were more expensive than the liquor itself! Isn't that crazy? The place was called It's Five o'Clock Somewhere, and even though they have a dumb name (that's not how time zones work, dammit!), they have some pretty tasty moonshine. If you're ever by way of Cashmere, WA, stop and check them out.
I wish I could somehow add a map of the route that we took on our trips. I think that would be a good addition.
No comments:
Post a Comment