Follow me as I wander around the world eating

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tengu Sushi

Sam and I tried a new sushi place for dinner today. Sam found a place called Tengu Sushi by Northgate Mall that had great reviews. It wasn't great.

It is a conveyor belt sushi place, which I've always thought were kind of neat. I'd never been to one before. We ordered a hot item and grabbed some stuff of the conveyor belt. The sushi was okay. I've come to expect really good sushi from Seattle, and this didn't match up. It may have been good at some point and just went around the conveyor belt a few too many times. I'm not sure. Prices were good though, but their labeling system was a little strange. Different colored plates mean different prices, and that is easy enough to understand. However, instead of 5 different colors, they have "pastel green" (which is really sky blue) and regular green, orange, dark purple, and black. Really? All the plates have gold crack-looking designs on them, and they're a little difficult to tell apart at first. Why not make 5 different colors? Silly.

Our hot food (deep fried oysters) never came, and service was a little nil. After we'd finished all our conveyor sushi and sat for a little while, we finally got the attention of a server and cancelled the order. :/ Shame. That might have raised my opinion of their food. Instead, we ordered mochi. I got green tea and Samuel got red bean. Each order came with two balls. The menu says "Choose two" and lists the flavors, but you aren't actually allowed to do that. "Choose two" apparently means "you get two of one flavor". No worries, Sam and I just split ours. The mochi was delicious.

The place wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a new spot or anything. I probably won't return.

No comments:

Post a Comment